1 package of thawed puff pastry
1 small yellow onion
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp garlic minced
1 tsp salt
1⁄2 tsp pepper
6 cups of fresh spinach
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Pinch of nutmeg
1 8oz block of feta cheese
Some butter to melt and brush on the pastry
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While your oven is preheating, line a tray with parchment paper or foil.
- Unfold your thawed puff pastry and cut into 9 equal-ish squares (they don’t have to be perfect). You can do this by using a sharp knife to cut three lines horizontally and vertically, so it forms a grid of nine squares!
- Cover the squares with a damp tea towel and set aside. You do this so that the puff pastry won’t dry out on you, and it will make it easier to work with.
- Dice a yellow onion. You will want to get the diced parts small so that you don’t get a lot of onion in one bite. Add the diced onion to a frying pan and add your olive oil and minced garlic.
- Sauté this mixture in the pan for a couple of minutes or until it is soft.
- Season with your salt and pepper.
- Add your spinach and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted down. While you’re cooking, you will want to stir and move the contents in the pan often.
- Add the cream and continue to cook until the cream has thickened. Add a pinch of nutmeg and transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Break apart your feta and add to the spinach mixture. The feta should be in clumps about the size of a quarter or smaller.
- Spoon this mixture onto the puff pastry squares.
- Wet the corners of the puff pastry with a little cold water and fold the corners to the center to form a little package.
- Place the spinach puffs onto the baking sheet and brush the tops with some melted butter.
- Place in the oven and cook until they are brown on top, about 12-15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and enjoy!
There you have it! This dish is a great appetizer for any party and the perfect dish to warm your tummy. My mouth is watering right now as I write this blog! I hope you enjoy Spanakopita as much as the Gum Creek Family does and we all hope you have a wonderful week!